You know those times when you’re feeling like eating something a little naughty…something, dare I say it…fried. But then again, you’ve been eating really clean and don’t want to spoil your diet. We know the feeling. That’s why you’re not going to be able to get enough of these gluten free coconut shrimp poppers.
Coconut. Shrimp. Fried. Anything else you need to know?Click To Tweet
"A recipe is a story that ends with a good meal."
Never miss a recipe from us
I stumbled upon this deliciousness while trying to make a dish we used to order all the time from a close-by Chinese takeout place (pineapple shrimp – recipe on it’s way!). This dish is traditionally made with fried pieces of chicken but since we don’t eat chicken, I decided to make it with shrimp. To do so, I had to find a way to cook up these beauties so they would hold well when simmering in the sauce.
Long story short, once I tasted the just-fried shrimp, I immediately shouted, “Tamryn! You HAVE to come taste this!”
Annnd then she proceeded to eat about half the batch.
With that, I knew these little shrimp poppers deserved their very own spot on this blog and not just be featured in another recipe.
Keep in mind, shrimp is one of the types of seafood you should not eat regularly (hard, I know), so try not to get too attached to this recipe (mwahahaha) especially if the only type of shrimp you have access to is imported.
I’m working on a few yummy dipping sauces for these crispy gluten free shrimp poppers, but in the meantime, grab your favorite and go to town!
|5 Ingredient Crispy Gluten Free Coconut Shrimp Poppers|| |
- 340 g Shrimp
- ½ c Gluten-Free Flour
- ¼ c Gluten-Free Panko Breadcrumbs
- ¼ c Coconut Shreds
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ c Coconut Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- To start, you'll need to get 3 shallow dishes. In one put your flour, in another your breadcrumb, coconut shreds and red pepper flakes (mixed together), and in the third whisk your egg with a fork to create the egg wash.
- Season all the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Dust a piece of shrimp in the gluten free flour, then dip it into the egg wash, then into the breadcrumb-coconut mixture. Set aside. Repeat until you've crumbed all the shrimp.
- Heat the coconut oil on a medium-high pan. Cook shrimp for 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Enjoy with your family or friends...or save them all for yourself!
Tweet at us to let us know you’re going to try this recipe:
Hey @fishyvegetarian, I’m definitely trying this coconut shrimp recipe of yours!Click To Tweet