You’ll never find us bashing salads here at Fishy Vegetarian, not only because we eat them all the time… but mainly because we love to explore different flavours like this candy date salad.
Savoury and sweet. A perfect salad combination!Click To Tweet
"A recipe is a story that ends with a good meal."
Never miss a recipe from us
We can understand, though, that just sometimes a regular salad can get a little, we hate to say it, well…boring.
I was feeling this way when I created this date salad. We had some extra dates lying around and I thought, “hmmm, I wonder if…”
If you aren’t a sweet fan, and prefer your salads to remain savoury, then you might want to give this one a miss. If, however, you have a giant sweet tooth like moi, then stay right where you are.
This salad combines the sweetness of gooey dates, the crispness of fresh spinach (an excellent source of iron for vegetarians btw), the crunch of maple chickpeas and the savoury creaminess of goat’s cheese, which works just beautifully with the sweet dates.
You’ll also be happy to know that you’ll score fiber points with chickpeas, which will keep your digestive tract functioning like it should, and dates are excellent for heart health and iron-deficient anemia!
Whip this up just right, and you’ll enjoy dinner and dessert all rolled into one.
|Candy Date Salad with Chickpeas and Goat Cheese|| |
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup soaked dates
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons goat’s cheese
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- Soak your dates in a bowl for at least 10 minutes by pouring boiling water over them until completely covered
- Add coconut oil to a saucepan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Drain the can of chickpeas and add to the pan.
- Add 1 tbsp maple syrup and allow chickpeas to heat through for 5-10 minutes, stirring every now and again.
- Add in your cinnamon and salt and stir through chickpeas, turn off heat and set aside.
- Drain your dates, which should now be gooey and soft. You can leave them whole or chop them a bit into smaller pieces.
- Add all ingredients to bowl, toss, drizzle with remaining 1tbsp maple drizzle and enjoy!
Tweet at us to let us know you’re going to try this recipe:
Whipping up this candy date salad soon!Click To Tweet